Coordination and Phased Reopening after a Full School Shutdown of In Person Learning
A COVID-19 safety coordinator will supervise and assure continuous compliance with all aspects of the school’s reopening plan, as well as any phased-in reopening activities necessary to allow for operational issues to be resolved before activities return to normal or “new normal” levels.
In Person Learning - Phase 1
Phase 1 return to in person learning is described below. Characteristics of this phase include the following limitations meant to monitor the health and safety of all individuals during this return to in-person learning:
- Restriction of shared spaces to classrooms designated for Enrichment Classes
- Designated Playgrounds for Cohorts
- Cessation of School Lunch Program (The lunch program will be phased in as
deemed appropriate by responsible parties and with proper health
guidelines as the school year progresses.)
- Lunch eaten in the classroom with proper 6 feet social distance or protected
by barriers. These barriers are appropriate physical barriers between
individuals that do not adversely affect air flow, heating, cooling, or ventilation,
or otherwise present a health or safety risk. These barriers are in accordance
with United States Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health
Administration (OSHA) guidelines.
- Movement between classes will be limited to enrichment classes, for
restroom breaks or trips to the school office
- Cessation of In Person Extracurricular Activities and Clubs
- Visitors/Parent Meeting - limited by appointment only and/or video
conferencing /phone calls
- Social Distancing and PPE Use as described in plan.
- Students will remain within the main school building or PreKindergarten
Building with no shared personnel between buildings to prevent the
risk of cross contamination.
- No visits to parish church during the school day to prevent the
risk of cross contamination.
- No large school gatherings such as Family Fun Day, Open House, etc.
- The library and STREAM classrooms will not be used by students
Currently the school is in Phase 1 of its Reopening Plan. Subsequent Phases will be developed as guidelines are provided by local and state authorities, New York State Guidance, Executive Orders from the Governor, etc.
Phase 1 Detailed Description
- Shared spaces will be limited to the Enrichment Classroom, Spanish
Classroom and the Gym. Class cohorts will be divided between shared
spaces thus reducing number. Shared spaces will be disinfected between
each class. The library and STREAM classrooms will not be used by students
during the initial stage of reopening and will be reopened for student use
as directed by the department of health, local and state agencies, etc.
High efficiency Merk 13 filters will be installed throughout the school’s heating
system. Hepa air purifiers will be placed in all shared classrooms.
Each room is equipped with an air conditioner that uses fresh air and will
have its windows open. Playgrounds will be identified for use by specifics
cohorts and will be cleaned after use so avoid the risk of cross contamination
- A specific playground will be Isolated to a designated cohort, will be locked
after school and signage will indicate that the playground is not for public use.
- The school gym will be used only if students are prohibited from outdoor
Physical Education due to weather conditions. The Gym will be disinfected
between each session. Schedules will allow for disinfecting between use.
- The cafeteria has been repurposed for classroom use. Students will eat
lunch in their classroom or socially distant in the school field. The lunch
program will be phased in as deemed appropriate by responsible parties
and with proper health guidelines as the school year progresses.
- All students will be offered the choice a hybrid of in person and remote
learning. Students will be offered the opportunity to stay home and learn
remotely or to attend in person. The ability to choose either option will be
afforded students on a daily basis. Each homeroom class will be equipped
with a camera. Students will be provided a link by email to attend remote
learning using Zoom Professional accounts with waiting rooms and teacher
supervision. Other platforms will include Seesaw (elementary and early
childhood) and Google Classroom (grades 5-8.)
- Cohorts will be implemented for younger students in PreKindergarten and
Kindergarten. These cohorts will be limited in number. Social distancing will
include the following:
- All students in a cohort will wear masks. The wearing of masks for
younger students will address developmental appropriateness and
feasibility. This policy will be implemented in a safe and consistent manner.
- Each student will be part of a smaller learning group of five students.
- Barriers between learning groups are appropriate physical barriers between
individuals that do not adversely affect air flow, heating, cooling, or
ventilation, or otherwise present a health or safety risk. These barriers
are in accordance with United States Department of Labor’s Occupational
Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines.
- Visitors to Mater Christi School will be limited and will be by appointment
only. Generally appointments and parent conferences will be done
remotely using Zoom Pro to limit potential contamination and exposure
to COVID-19 in the school facilities.
The school may choose to modify operations prior to closing to help mitigate a rise in cases. The school will consult its school nurse and/or the local health department when making such decisions.
The School building administrator will communicate with the superintendent or his designee regularly and, if needed, will consider closing school if absentee rates impact the ability of the school to operate safely.The school is prepared to move to full remote learning if necessitated by an increase of Coid19 cases. All students will be provided remote learning equipment and will have use of appropriate online platforms such as: Seesaw, Google Classroom and Zoom. If an infected individual has been completely isolated to a particular school building, i.e. PreKindergarten or Main School Building, operations in that building will be ceased and learning will be conducted remotely.
Closure plans will include contingency plans for online learning through Pro Zoom accounts, Google Classroom and Seesaw. Families will be notified to pick up any equipment needed to continue online learning (ipads, google chromebooks, instructional packets, textbooks,etc) using proper social distancing. All pickups will be in the school parking lots with staggered pickup times by class. During School Closures, remote learning will be provided for all students in PreKindergarten to Grade 8 following guidelines as indicated by the NY State Education department. Documentation of learning and student attendance will be taken daily throughout school closure.
Communication platforms will include using school cell phone and the following communication platforms
- SwiftReach (email, text and phone alert system)
- the school website (www.mcsalbany.org)
- School Facebook Page (public announcements)
- Seesaw (parent communication)
- Google Classroom
- Group Me (Faculty and Staff Text)
- School Closing Network (TV)